Friday, March 18, 2011

5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



Want to get a new shifter knob for my '08 LE. After an hour of reading old posts, I saw most shifter threads had to do with automatics. Doesn't help me a whole lot



what options do I have out there? Spent a little time on ebay but most of what I saw was ugly and/or ricey. Would like a nice weighted knob, prefer round shape, I don't plan to cut the lever down so that's not an option for me.



Gen6 stock knob = epic fail!

Reply 1 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



I haven't really looked yet. I'm happy with my 6.5 knob, just not happy with how long the throw is and how high the shifter sits. Hoping to swap one out from a 2011 tC if it will fit, nice short throw. I know Toyota has some manual trans knobs, but they're the rod type, nothing you'd like.

Reply 2 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



Yeah, I was also looking at the TRD knob, then saw someone here posted that the quality was poor (TRD emblem coming off and leather stitching coming undone). I drilled and tapped an 8-ball for a knob but it doesn't screw down onto the shifter far enough. Effect is like one of those rat rods where the shifter is about the same height as your head sitting in the car lol

Reply 3 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



^I can't put any shifter on like that...cause mine's a 6 speed I have the "lifter" to put it in reverse, which limits my shifter choices.



I'll google some and see what I come up with.

Reply 4 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)





These are the knobs that Toyota offer aftermarket

Reply 5 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)





You can't see that well (if you go in my "garage", under the Supreme tag on the left side, you can click on this pic and enlarge it), but that's my stock shift knob.

Reply 6 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



^^Pic didn't show in thread or in the garage...The other knobs weren't my type but thanks for the pic

Reply 7 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



Sorry about that, try again, there were some technical errors, lol.

Reply 8 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



I saw your knob! (lol)



I see they went to that idiotic reverse lockout. My Focus had one, too. Do they really think we're going to shift from 3rd (5th in your case) into reverse? It's not physically possible unless you force the lever! If yours is anything like the Ford's was, easy to remove...



But something like that is what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll go for one of those Hurst white balls... Wouldn't look out of place at all in my LE interior... lol...

Reply 9 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



^It's actually Reverse on the far left, and then the 1-2/3-4/5-6 pattern from left to right.



I like those Hurst balls....gonna throw one on my 95 Mustang someday, lol

Reply 10 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



skunk 2 knob.

or the honda s2000/civic type r knob?

Reply 11 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



^^I looked them up- not the style I want. Plus a 6-speed shift pattern might not look right in a 5-speed car lol

Reply 12 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)




Quote:








Originally Posted by 87Camry5Speed
View Post

^^I looked them up- not the style I want. Plus a 6-speed shift pattern might not look right in a 5-speed car lol



look up the major brands and your bound to find something you like. razo, momo, blox, sparco etc

Reply 13 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



Blox

Reply 14 : 5 and 6-speed people, tell me about aftermarket shift knobs (yes I searched)



Started looking up some of these brands last night. Razo has a nice weighted, round knob- but it's black-won't match the interior. (gray) I'm going to keep looking into what you guys suggested and see if I can find an aluminum/titanium- finish weighted round knob that will match the interior. Thanks for the suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment