Wednesday, March 16, 2011

MPG reset



2007 Avalon - every once in a while when I leave my girlfriends house the MPG indicator resets. Driveway slopes less than than some other places the car has been parked yet this only happens at her house on occasion. Can not determine what is causing it to reset.

Reply 1 : MPG reset



happens to me all the time, all it takes is the car to be at an angle enough to lift the tank float sender and the counter resets. I notice it is worse if the front of the car ever sits lower than the back.

Reply 2 : MPG reset



I've had mine reset maybe 2 or 3 times over the last 30 months. Never thought anything about it. The odd thing with your situation is that it takes place in the same place and nowhere else. Maybe a little testing is in order. Leave at a different speed, or a different angle, or back in instead of driving straight in, etc.

Reply 3 : MPG reset



I noticed that mine resets every time i fuel up, my assumption is that it measures readings when shut down and then again when started up. The refill change takes place several seconds after start up. It is possible that in those several seconds you have changed the position of the fuel level indicator enough to reset the mpg. Either that or your doing like I used to do and slip into nuteral and roll out of drive way before starting car so as to not wake the partents when I left.. :-) ok ok so that was back before steering locks

Reply 4 : MPG reset



It's supposed to reset when you fill-up!

Reply 5 : MPG reset



As designed, it resets after every fillup.



HOWEVER.... (And I've had this problem from day one)



it resets when it reaches half a tank and has been shut off and left in the garage on a level surfact overnight. When I start up the next morning, the mpg has reset to 0 mpg. It's typically associated with city driving with little or no freeway. Its almost as if the mpg calculator hangs up as one approaches a 1/2 tank (@ 18-19 mpg about 162 - 171 miles). MPG just stops changing. It could have been designed this way, it could be a defect in the calculation algorithim or....? I've asked over the years and the dealer service desk hasn't heard of the problem....



ynot

Reply 6 : MPG reset



"yet this only happens at her house on occasion"

I can not believe that no one saw this opportunity?

Maybe it is because you occasionally run out of "gas" at your girlfirends house? ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! HA ha ha ha ha ha

Just saying..............

No comments:

Post a Comment