Friday, March 25, 2011

Strut Replacement - 99 Corolla CE























































I had the local Toyota dealer do a 4 wheel alignment on the car a couple of days ago. After a couple of days driving with the job 100% completed I noticed the suspension is significantly stiffer than original. With new factory springs and new KYB GR2 struts, the car is a tad stiffer than I personally would like.



Lower speeds under 50 mph - fantastic - speed bumps in parking lots, driving into gas stations, pot holes and normal pavement.



Highway speeds - smooth pavement and minor bumps are fantastic, however, on uneven surfaces, the ride becomes a tad jittery that I suspect would become somewhat tiresome on long trips.

Reply 1 : Strut Replacement - 99 Corolla CE



Modestobulldog,



Thanks for posting the update. So did you buy a strut assembly that included the springs or not? If you did, does that save time on compressing them (and having to reconnect the brake lines? I am also confused as to whcih vendor you used to buy the parts and which struts you finally bought (front and rear). If I may ask, how much did you pay? Thanks.



Ron

Reply 2 : Strut Replacement - 99 Corolla CE



1sttoyota is a Toyota Dealer out of Seattle Washington that has a internet business. I highly rcommend them for any factory parts. I ordered the factory Toyota springs, strut mounts and rubber spring insulators from them. Excellent prices, shipped fast and packed with lots of bubble wrap so parts arrive in perfect condiiton.



I ordered the KYB GR2's from PerformanceCenter. Don't buy anything from them, they are liars and you will be lucky if the struts arrive intact in the box. If your 99 CE is like mine, you have KYB's installed from the factory. The KYB GR2's are slightly stiffer than the factory Toyota (KYB) struts. You can rent spring compressors from Autozone for free or buy for $40 or $49 for Craftsman at Sears, just be careful and follow the suggestions in the Haynes manual. i am happy with my KYB replacement struts. Just don't order them from Performance center.



The only assemblies I found were from Monroe. I wouldn't install Monroe's on my grandson's tricycle. Of course, buying a assembly will save time, but you have limited selection of brands. Another option is to remove the struts from the vehicle and take them to a shop to replace the springs, you might save $$ and get a better quality strut.



On the rear struts, I could not figure a way to do the job without disconnecting the brake lines. To check yours, jump to Haynes section 10-10-4. disconnect the clip and check the mount. If you can romove the brake line without disconnecting the line, then by all means do so. I couldn't figure a way.



BTW, my post is to be used as a supplement to the Haynes manual. I mainly noted omissions or clarifications to the manual.

Reply 3 : Strut Replacement - 99 Corolla CE



Thanks again for the information. I think it was ghost_ryder35 who recommended a web site called rockauto.com. I looked there and they had rear strut assemblies by a few manufactirers, including KYB. Here is a link:



http://info.rockauto.com/KYB/Detail.html?234059.jpg



Does that include the spring, or can you tell?



Ron

Reply 4 : Strut Replacement - 99 Corolla CE



That is the strut only. Either use your old springs, mounts, boots & rubbers or order new ones. I just got back from having the car aligned at the dealer. I am 100% happy with the result. It rides & handles like a new car. Not bad for 216,000 miles.



Keep in mind, I wasn't necessarily looking for the cheapest replacement, I wanted better than the shop was going to do and thankfully, I was successful.

Reply 5 : Strut Replacement - 99 Corolla CE



Updated original post for post 4 wheel alignment results.

Reply 6 : Strut Replacement - 99 Corolla CE



.com can get eibach or intrax springs, as well as the kyb struts if you need them. If you have the money go with koni struts. Tire rack has H&R springs. There are a bunch of places to get springs as well as struts. I wouldnt buy monroe either.

Reply 7 : Strut Replacement - 99 Corolla CE



I am done with this project. It was a learning experience. I did not want lowered springs and all I found aftermarket was lowering springs.



Are KYB GR2's sopposed to be firmer than the original KYB Nitrogen filled struts? It seems so to me.

Reply 8 : Strut Replacement - 99 Corolla CE



I cant say that so much. Its more like they work better with performance springs than OEM struts do. If you have competition springs or sport springs than sure your ride will feel stiffer. The only way to tell would be to put them on with OEM springs and see.

Reply 9 : Strut Replacement - 99 Corolla CE



Thanks Modestobulldog for that informative post. I truly appreciate it. Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment