Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Teardrop Trailers



We've got a lot of Highlander drivers hauling trailers of all sorts, but do any of you have a teardrop trailer? I hope so, because I'd like to pick your brains a bit about them. I've had my eye on those things for some time and they look like they'd make camping a hell of a lot more comfortable...especially with those big beds (queen size?) they typically have! Let me know....



-

Reply 1 : Teardrop Trailers



Traildust (or is it "Legs in the desert"?) I don't have a teardrop but instead have a fiberglass trailer. They seem to have an almost cult following: lighter, better construction over conventionally built trailers, go over most type of terrain and actually quite roomy inside. There are several manufactures -- Casita (that's what I have) Scamp seems to be the most popular. My HL pulls my 17 footer nicely. You might want to check these out.

Reply 2 : Teardrop Trailers



Thanks for the heads up on the trailers and the manufacturer names. I'd have had no idea about them, but now I can Google them. The teardrops certainly do have a cult level following, and I just recently found out there's a meet of teardrop owners this month at Lake Perris here in California. Got to check that out. Besides the bed, it's the fold-out kitchenette that's appealing.

Reply 3 : Teardrop Trailers



I see teardrops are becoming more popular here in Australia.



Do you guys have the fold out camper-trailers in the US, or is it a Down Under thing? I have one and it's great, but of course only as good as the canvas tent can be in cold or wet weather... Tent packs flat on top of the trailer, double-bed on top of the trailer section, kitchen normally slides out from under the bed, room for children in the annex area, setup in 15mins and light to tow



They look a little like those in the pics below



Cheers




Reply 4 : Teardrop Trailers



Andrew,



We've got the rigs you described here too, but the one you showed in the photo I've never seen before. Kind of halfway between a teardrop trailer in size, but with the popup tent setup. What kind of kitchen does that thing have? Does it have a water tank onboard?

Reply 5 : Teardrop Trailers



Most have a water tank underneath, and the rear tailgate often has a simple kitchen attached, that swings out the rear of the trailer, or slides out on a drawer (my trailer has an annex section that covers the kitchen area from rain etc.)




Reply 6 : Teardrop Trailers



Now how cool is that!!! How the tent sets up with the trailer reminds me of the tent my sister and her husband have that attaches to the rear of their Armada, but it sure doesn't have a kitchen included! You've definitely whetted my appetite for a teardrop or something similar. It's just the right size to haul remotely, and its got so many of the comforts of home. Show me that it has a humidor for cigars and I'm flying to Australia tomorrow to buy one....

Reply 7 : Teardrop Trailers



Trail Dust,



Have you looked at the "pop-up" tent trailers made for off-roading? They have much more ground clearance and are "armored" to prevent gravel rash. Here is a couple links:



http://www.colemantrailers.com/theevolutionseries

http://www.colemantrailers.com/switchback

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/ca...ler.php?id=171



I had several Coleman pop-up's in my Jeep days and they were good units...and that was before decent ground clearance and diamond plate protection.... Much less that fancy deck for a ATV or dirt bike...



The only draw back to anything with canvas, or Sunbrella, is if it gets wet you have to leave it up until it dries. They may not be a big deal in sunny California but it can be a real pain in rainy Georgia...

Reply 8 : Teardrop Trailers



Here is a couple of links to the lightweight "tear drop" style trailers I am considering:



http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...hoice=brochure



http://www.tab-rv.com/



Right now the R-Pod is winning. It is a bit bigger and has a larger, more established dealer base than the T@b / T@da family. If we go for the R-Pod it will probably be the RP-175... Less than 3,000 pounds loaded with a slide out....



One thing to keep in mind when looking at RV's is a Queen mattress in an RV is quite often smaller than a home Queen mattress....



And if you haven't already checked it out go to: www.gorving.com There is a lot of good info and links on that site...

Reply 9 : Teardrop Trailers



Wow, Wayne, thanks for the links! I didn't know anyone was making any kind of teardrop trailers again. I'll have to share those links with my brother-in-law who is also considering a small, teardrop-size trailer.



I'll have to research both trailers more and see which one I prefer, but dang both those types look good! I'm no wimp, but I'd be happy to get away from sleeping in tents with the wind blowing over me all night, and get into a nice cozy trailer and a bona fide bed.



Again, thanks for the links...you're my bud!

Reply 10 : Teardrop Trailers



TrailDust,



Here are a couple more links if you or your brother-in-law want a traditional, small, tear drop. I have seen trailers like these at car shows and they are really just an enclosed bed with an outside kitchen. I need something a tad bigger...okay make that a lot bigger to fit me comfortably...



http://tinycamper.com/teardropmodels.htm



http://golittleguy.com/cms/



http://www.socalteardrops.com/



If you want to build one yourself: http://www.desertteardrops.com/



And last a webring for teardrops: http://www.webring.com/t/Teardrop-Tr...WebRing?sid=13



Enjoy...

Reply 11 : Teardrop Trailers



Hey guys, if you want a small trailer that has all you needs in creature comfort, check these two sites, especially the 13 footers



www.casitatraveltrailers.com/home.html



www.scamptrailers.com/

Reply 12 : Teardrop Trailers




Quote:








Originally Posted by holmesie
View Post

Most have a water tank underneath, and the rear tailgate often has a simple kitchen attached, that swings out the rear of the trailer, or slides out on a drawer (my trailer has an annex section that covers the kitchen area from rain etc.)






Love it ,wish I could get one here like that.... Maybe on my next trip to ANZ I'll have to look one up and send it home

Reply 13 : Teardrop Trailers



TrailDust, summer is almost here and with that: inquiring minds want to know, have you made any decisions on a trailer to extend your desert adventures?

No comments:

Post a Comment